This eBook explains the fundamentals of mobile mining equipment maintenance. It is intended as a reference for mining professionals who are engaged in the maintenance process, whether they are designing programs or delivering them. The scope is confined to large surface mining vehicles: haul trucks, shovels, rotary drills, and support equipment.
The guide is organized into five sections:
- People — discusses the skills, organization and productivity factors necessary to deliver effective maintenance;
- Process — defines the strategic, planning and scheduling, execution, and measurement attributes inherent to maintenance of large mobile equipment;
- Technology — explains the technical environment present at most mines and discusses the key systems that affect mobile maintenance;
- Facilities — outlines the operating objectives and functional requirements for successful maintenance infrastructure; and
- Product Support Contracts — describes the details of each type of contract, risks and mitigation strategies, and why certain contract types may be appropriate under specific circumstances where suppliers play a critical role in supporting mobile equipment maintenance.
These issues are fundamental to the design or improvement of maintenance operations; the underlying ideas have been developed and tested at sites globally since 1982.